Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What the hell is KONY 2012?

That's what I wondered this morning as it started to go viral on Facebook this morning....at least amongst my friends. I would not consider myself a philanthropic person. I like to engage in many things but philanthropy is not one of them. I do my part, but I get really turned off by people "harassing" me as I walk out of Trader Joes, after a long day of work, with an antsy 4.5 year old and a brain injured husband waiting for me at home.
"Do you care about the earth?" they will ask as I pretend I'm on my cell phone.
“Of course I do, you do-gooding ass-hat." (Just not today or more specifically, right now.)
So when I saw multiple people posting this link, people who usually
wouldn’t repost something like KONY 2012, I skeptically watched.

I was blown away. First, there was an uncanny resemblance of the
little boy in the video to Hudson. (They even have exact same red
striped sweater he wore in the video.) But more importantly, whether
you actually believe in the “cause” or not, there are a few really
great messages to be had from this fascinating initiative. (Enough, that I
felt compelled to share with whomever wants to listen.)

One of the things I love most about having Hudson in my life is the
imagination and belief in infinite possibility that he (and kids in
general) have. It keeps life so much lighter. I mean, Hudson really
believes that he can become a Ninja if he works hard enough. He
really believes that his Grandma Julie has “magic” and he really
believes that a fairy follows us when I take him for a run in the
jogger and sprinkles jewels all along the way (versus the reality of
me tossing cheap plastic rhinestones, that I purchased from Michael’s
Craft store, over the stroller as I run.)

Watching this video gave me that feeling of infinite possibility. It also made me want to give Hudson the tools to somehow keep his imagination all through adulthood like the guy who produced this video, obviously has done. Bottom line,
If we put just little imagination into it, we could all be ninjas.










The link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

www.kony2012.com


No comments:

Post a Comment