Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vacation wrap up. part. 2.

I think it's safe to say that most parents of young children have an underlying fear when it comes to traveling/flying with their kids. It can be a very risky, knowing you in a very confined space for how ever long you are willing to roll the dice with a child of (fill in the blank) years old.
For us, we've flown quite a bit with Hudson starting when he was 6 weeks old. It's the ONE place, we've always had luck with him. The noise, the people, the excitement of flying, a strong stomach, he has always been an excellent traveller so I've never really had that pre-flight anxiety (besides my own visions of the plane going down with every bump.)

And then last night happened.
Our flight was delayed by 1.5 hours so we decided to grab a quick bite to eat at Johnny Rockets. (mistake #1) Hudson wanted a chocolate shake and a hot dog. I am a little heaved out by hot dogs but I thought what the hell, this will be the last bad meal of our vacation. (mistake #2) I made sure he ate as much as he could because it would be the last meal of the day/night. (mistake #3) As the airplane started to ascend on our 5 hour non-stop flight from Cancun to LAX, Hudson said his tummy hurt, and projectile vomited his dinner (see mistake #2) all over himself, me and the 2 innocent gentleman sitting behind us. Remember, we were ascending and nearly vertical at this point. Both men had to change at least 1 (2) item(s) of clothing while I gave Hudson and myself a sponge bath in the very spa like (disgusting) airplane bathroom. In the meantime E and a flight attendant changed out our seat cushions, both wearing rubber rubber gloves as though they were performing surgery and (were forced to) moved the guys behind us up to business class.
Once Hudson was changed into his only clean option, E's T-shirt, I rinsed the hot dog bits out of my hair and we both fell alseep.

About an hour later, the pilot announced "Flight attendants, please take your seat....Immediately" (I especially love the "immediately" part)
Turbulence began and Hudson projectile vomited once more. This time, mostly on me. I was wet from head to toe but we did manage to get a small amount in the vomit bag, which, at this point Hud and I high fived at our major accomplishment.

At the end of it all, Hudson was still a traveller trooper. Never crying or complaining. His only comment, as I pumped hand soap into his hair while he is stood in his underwear on the airplane bathroom toilet was, "Mom, I am so sorry. That was terrible and we can never tell anyone at my pre-school that I did this."


Through the eyes of a 4 1/2 year old. (pics I found on my iPhone, that I did not take, but I think I know who did.....)































No comments:

Post a Comment