Thursday, January 26, 2012

10 months and counting....

At The Arty Invitational (the golf tournament benefit that our friends put together for E) last June, I was setting up and a guy I had never seen before came up to me and introduced himself. "Hi, I'm Kevin and I had a horrible brain injury about a year and a half ago like your husband." We chatted for quite some time and was very comforting and inspiring all at the same time. I think I even told him (naively) that he should give talks about his journey and he said "I have."
Although he was very cognitively "with it" you could definitely tell, he had been through some major shit. Well, months later, I found out that "Kevin" was Kevin Pearce, a world champion and olympic hopeful snowboarder (www.kevinpearce.com) Indeed, he has been through some major shit.

So here we are, 10 months post traumatic brain injury and it has been....well....traumatic. Most days I wake up and don't think about it. I just go. Then there are days where I hover over my life and watch it like a Lifetime movie. Ridiculous, yet, you can't turn the channel.

But at the end of the day, we have the end of the day. E is doing mostly everything he was able to do before. Ie) drive, surf, work. However, it's at a much slowwwwwer pace at this point.

He is still on a plethora of medication which we are in the process of weaning, but it's going to probably be at least another year before he's completely off, if at all.

He still goes to multiple doctor appointments each week, has gained quite a bit of weight due to medication (and food) and basically has no memory of 2011.

That being said, things have been pretty good around here lately. Because E works from home, he is currently in training for job of "house manager" Aka Manny (man nanny.)

He does most of the dropping off and picking up of Hudson to and from school. So much that I actually dropped Hud off this morning and he felt obliged to tell me where his lunch box goes and who his teacher was. He's been going to the same pre-school for 2 years.....

E also takes Hudson to Karate a few days a week and is definitely not the only dad on duty there.

So, although things are far from back to "normal," we are adjusting. Continuously moving forward, trying not to look backward, all while living in the present. One day at a time, every day counting toward recovery. For E and for me.





























1 comment:

  1. Good Job Mandy and Family!! Thanks for always keeping us updated! You have kept your sense of humor, and make your readers laugh out loud! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete