Thursday, August 25, 2011

If you're happy and you know it, eat mashed potatoes for breakfast

I am not going to lie, I’d been having “one of those” (weeks) mornings….and then I brought Hudson to preschool. I literally left the place in tears...of laughter. Today was not abnormal by any means (mind you these are 2-5 year olds) and here is what I saw.
1. A little girl putting “body” paint all over herself, including her face.
2. A kid in a very large, very muscular batman outfit just sitting on a tree stump.
3. A group of kids (including mine) eating their “lunch” at 8:30 am. Mmm. Mashed potatoes and gravy.
4. Open door, multiple kid, bathroom using.
5. Two kids digging a whole to get to the “center of the earth”

Honestly, how can your day not improve after seeing all of that? Why can’t we, as adults be this free? Seriously, who cares if it’s August, if you feel like rocking your last years (Halloween) Barney Rubble outfit to work, what is stopping you? Body paint, who says it is only acceptable for Marti Gras?

As adults we get so uptight sometimes about work, home, life. We (me) are pissed there are never ending dishes in the sink, we always feel like WE are the overburdened partner in the relationship, the laundry is endless, the bills are too high, our pants are too tight, the groceries are gone....again.

Next time I feel this way, I am going to do what a preschooler would do (with an adult responsibilities.) Put some on some body paint with my Sexy Devil costume and eat my lunch on my way to work. The rest of you can do your part as any good preschooler would, and act like nothing is unordinary. Having my own kid and being around kids has taught (and keeps teaching) me that happiness can be very simplistic; you just have to be open to it….. and willing to carry around a life sized transformer, all day.



(Hudson when we went to pick him up from school today. Apparently, he was inspired as well.)




No comments:

Post a Comment