Friday, October 21, 2011

Fight or Flight

Fight or flight reaction (as defined by biology-online.org dictionary):

The response or reaction of an animal to a situation perceived as a threat to its survival, which involves physiological changes in the animal body through the action of the sympathetic nervous system, priming the animal to deal with danger by staying, fighting or running away.


I've been exhausted lately. When I say exhausted I mean, really god damned tired. My friend/acupuncturist, Amy, finally layed it out for me today. She said my body is recovering from "flight or fight" mode and my adrenal glands are depleted. I was like, is "flight or flight" really a "thing?" Then I Googled it and as far as I'm concerned, Google knows everything. I'm pretty sure we've ALL been in a "fight or fight" mode at some point in our lives.

The reason I'm telling you this is, well, I'm tired like a zebra who has been wined and dined by a pack of lions for the last 7 months. Thankfully, there is a dim light (thus far) at the end of the tunnel. (It's getting brighter but that may just be the wine making my eyes sensitive.)
Nonetheless, there are some things on my agenda in the immediate future (the first one is a good nights sleep) that I am genuinely EXCITED for.

As for E. He is doing well, today. "Today" being the key word.

The best way I can describe him at this point is he is living the life of a 40 year old man, with the reasoning (decision making and impulse control) of a 16 year old boy.

Of course this is only my point of view (and that of his doctor) but if you ask him he would probably say "Whatever Mandy, you're lame sauce."







(for you Melissa Leraas, a good laugh, but not too hard because you have some serious broken bones, but a strong will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment