Wednesday, October 26, 2011

When I think about my thoughts....


Do you ever think about your thoughts? Today, I did and here is what I think. (It feels good to think about your thoughts by the way.)

As I was leaving for work today, I was greeted by a police officer in my driveway "Are you Amanda AFTERburn?"

Me:
"Um no but I'm Amanda ARTerburn. Afterburn would be a horrible last name."

Him:
"Oh well, here you go. Have a nice day."

He handed me the updated supeona for the court date. The court case where the guy who did this to E will be tried and I will be on the stand. We were supposed to go to trial in 2 weeks but they pushed it back to the end of January. Have a nice day?

So I get in my car for my long journey half way back to Palm Springs where I would be working for the day. I started driving and I felt angry because in my mind, pushing back the court date is pushing back our life. I just want to move on from this. Then I started to think about what needed to be done the rest of the week. I remembered Hudson needs to bring his costume to school tomorrow and Friday as they will be celebrating Halloween. This reminded me he is going to be a red Power Ranger. I thought about what Power Rangers do. I wish I could be a Power Ranger for one day so I could take care of the bad guy myself. Then I wouldn't need to deal with all of this court date bullshit on top of everything else we are trying to manage. Then I thought, ok Mandy, you are a Power Ranger. What are you gonna do?

I'm not gonna zap the guy with a laser gun (although it may be fun.) No, what I would do is fly to Montana where he is living his "normal" life and I would serve him with a 1 year sentence. He would need to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 360 days at a brain injury rehabilitation center. No pay. He would have to figure out another way to get by that year. Its part of the journey. And he better give it his all every single day or the days would start over. And at the end of the year, he would bring me flowers (hey, its my vision) and have dinner with E and I. He would apologize and we would accept.

Forget arguing in court over what happened, why it happened, how it happened. It happened and we all get what we give in this life.

So you, bad guy, give someone else, who is deserving, a year of your life that you stole from ours and we will call it good. If you have any kind of a soul at all, which I believe you probably do, it will change your life just like it has changed ours.

Hey bad guy, you're welcome.








Hudson, in costume and deep thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment